Monday, July 12, 2010

Lesson learned for an aunt to be

So under the advisement of several of my friends, I decided to start blogging back in January, however since then have failed to be inspired to share my life's lessons with the rest of the world. . . until today. Who knew that my inspiration, nay my muse, would come in the form of a four year-old girl?

In an effort to win over my new staff group in our first meeting this evening, I decided to dazzle my RAs with my culinary skills through the making of double chocolate brownies. However, looking at the dismal state of my just relocated pantry, I realized that a box-of-brownies mix would have to do.

With ease I navigated the grocery store and in a self-congratulatory fashion strolled up to the check-out (I never make it out of the grocery store in less than thirty minutes, even for milk). While pulling the items out of my basket I feel a little tug on my pant leg and look down to see a dark-haired little girl with big brown eyes looking up a me with wonderment. "You're buying chocolate, aren't you," she graciously but cautiously squeaked out. "Yes," I replied with a smile.
"You shouldn't buy chocolate, it's not nutritious," the little lady stated confidently, but a bit judgmentally.

My mind started to reel. Thousands of responses flooded my head, some proud of the 4 year-old for being so acutely aware of her surroundings, other horrified that she knows the word and understands the concept of nutritional value before she can successfully tie her shoes. Mostly, I was impressed that she possessed enough gumption at such a tender age to eloquently express herself. She reminded me of myself this way.

As I begin to form the words in my mouth, "You know, you are right," I see the girl open her mouth and take a huge bite out of a chocolate doughnut. What? How dare she parlay her cuteness into a means by which to judge people when she herself is a hypocrite. "Wait," I tell myself, "she's only a child, and kids just repeat what they are told." Calmly I look down into her delicate brown eyes and through my toothy grin say, "Well, sweetheart, you're the one eating a chocolate doughnut."

Her mother grabbed her glaze encrusted hand and walked away. I continued to check-out my groceries and proceed to my car. As I start the engine I reflect upon what just happened and think to myself, "Michelle, you're going to be an amazing aunt."

1 comment: