Sunday, January 23, 2011

One Foot in the Grave

For Christmas last year, my family saw it fit to bestow upon me one of the greatest gifts ever given: the monolithic hardback "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die." This is unfortunate because upon my count today, I have seen close to 400 of these films. What does this mean? Have I lived 40 percent of my life thus far? Say it isn't so! However, dying before I hit 70 doesn't sound all bad. 70 is the new 50 these days, so kicking the bucket before I get senile and wrinkly sounds like a pretty good deal.

Back to the list: I've decided that it's bunk. Don't get me wrong, it is because of the book that I was introduced to incredible films such as The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and The Red Shoes, but I find that it leaves me wanting. Seriously, who can publish a book with such a brazen title and leave off such masterpieces as Wayne's World- a film that shaped a generation, or Empire Records- a movie that has one of the greatest collection of 90's music in history? Zoolander is nowhere to be seen and Dumb and Dumber fails to even earn a honorable mention. For shame, dear publishers, for shame.

Now I realize that my taste in movies may not be as sophisticated as those who took a film-critic correspondence course, but I think that I know a good movie when I see one. Which begs the question- what makes a good movie? Some would argue that it the story, art direction or even the dialogue that makes a flick worth watching, but I contend that it is the feeling, nay the emotional investment the viewer experiences while taking in a reel. Though I probably can't come up with over a thousand films, I humbly offer my list of the top 20 films everyone must see that can't be found in a publication.

20. An Affair to Remember (not as scandalous as it sounds)
19. Grease 2 (it involves motorcycles and the lively tune Reproduction. . . you'll thank me later)
18. Stranger Than Fiction (you'll want to write a novel after taking in this one)
17. Sixteen Candles (Jake Ryan is to blame for my taste in men)
16. O Brother, Where At Thou (I still don't know why it is entitled that)
15. Christmas Vacation (You'll never look at cats the same way)
14. A League of Their Own (chick version of Band of Brothers)
13. The Three Amigos (plays a big role in my family's lore)
12. Top Gun (I take that back, Maverick is to blame for my taste in men)
11. Big Fish (Tim Burton's best work, in humble opinion)
10. The Dark Night (if you haven't seen this film, where have you been living for the past three years?)
9. Donnie Darko (hauntingly good, creepily executed)
8. The Princess Bride (how can any list about movies leave this one off?)
7. Tommy Boy (the highest quotable line/scene capita in film history)
6. Benny and Joon (Johnny Depp before he was Johnny Depp)
5. Pretty Woman (just. plain. good.)
4. The Prestige (Christopher Nolan strikes again)
3. Goodfellas (because I LOVE ganster movies)
2. Forrest Gump (the film that made me love films)
1. Almost Famous (a biopic with the perfect soundtrack)

Mazeltov!

1 comment:

  1. I must say, I have seen all but 2 on your list, An Affair to Remember and Goodfellas. And yes, Donnie Darko was CREEPY (it affected my sleep for a few days) but none the less pretty good. Stranger Than Fiction and Benny and Joon are both good picks for the list as well. I would also add 10 Things I Hate About You to the list as well if it isn't already in a publication.

    ReplyDelete